MLBlogger of the Week Success Stories
We didn’t want our friend Jonathan over at Red Sox Nation Daily to think he was a jinx or anything, so we decided to look back at all of our Friday night MLBloggers of the Week who we put on the MLB Radio "Under the Lights" show for live appearances to tout their blog and talk baseball. As it turns out, that now-traditional MLBlogger of the Week distinction is anything but a jinx for the person’s favorite team. Following is a list of MLBloggers of the Week during the 2006 regular season who have MLBlogs templates with a specific team (I excluded a handful who have general MLB templates). The ones highlighted in red on this chart were our guests whose teams won the following Saturday. As you can see, MLBloggers of the Week are 8-4 this season on those Saturdays following their appearance — just to clear up any jinx speculation.
- April 21: Carl Shimkin, Inside Pitch. Next day: Mets 8, Padres 1
- April 28: Steve Mitchell, Die Hard Jays Fan. Next day: Yankees 17, Blue Jays 6 (L)
- May 12: Dave Cadwell, Mad Dog Reports. Next day: Yankees 4, A’s 3
- June 9: Chris St. Charles, RadioMan’s Korner. Next day: Mets 5, D-Backs 0
- June 23: Mike McClary, The Daily Fungo. Next day: Tigers 7, Cardinals 6
- June 30: Thomas Vana, White Sox Mssg. Board. Next day: White Sox 8, Cubs 6
- July 14: John Perrotta, Wrightoholics. Next day: Cubs 9, Mets 2 (L)
- July 21: John Nemo, The King’s Game. Next day: Indians 11, Twins 0 (L)
- July 28: Joliet Jake, Bucco Blog. Next day: Pirates 4, Giants 3
- Aug. 4: Joy Millam, Angels Mania. Next day: Angels 10, Rangers 3
- Aug. 11: Zoe Rice, Pick Me Up Some Mets! Next day: Mets 6, Nationals 4
- Aug. 18: Jonathan Dunlow, Red Sox Nation Daily. Next day: Yanks 13, Red Sox 5 (L)
Mathematicians might note from looking at a pattern in this chart that the next two MLBloggers of the Week probably will see their teams lose on the following Saturday, as one loss was followed by four wins, two losses were followed by three wins, and thus three losses would be followed by two wins based on pattern probability. Let’s hope that’s not the case. The other way to look at it is: MLBloggers of the Week were on a 7-for-9 run until this past weekend.
As always, you can listen to the appearances of past MLBloggers of the Week by clicking the drop-down menu under the Multimedia heading on the MLBlogs.com homepage. What’s more, your archived link also stays right there on the MLB Radio page, such as this one showing the Aug. 18 appearance by Jonathan, who followed such personalities that same day on MLB Radio as Orlando Cepeda, Bruce Froemming, Joe Torre and Terry Francona.
If you would like to be a guest on Pete McCarthy’s awesome live show each at roughly 10:20 ET each Friday night, just email us here and we’ll pass it along to Chris, the show’s producer. If you are in the NYC area, we can invite you into the studio for the live video version as well. It’s a great chance to get in front of a large, baseball-only audience for maybe 10 or 15 minutes and hear Pete constantly repeat the URL of your blog (you do it, too, remember the "pronoun rule!"), and talk baseball and blogging. Try to get that kind of publicity for your blog anywhere outside of the MLBlogosphere!